Sunday, July 20, 2014

Surprise!

I have never been very good at hiding secrets or keeping a surprise...a surprise.  I get really excited when I learn about a surprise (as long as I'm not the one being surprised), and I can't help but say something to someone!

When I found out about my job my sweet husband insisted that I make a quick trip to Utah since my start date wasn't for a few weeks.  I had the option of flying on Allegiant (which is usually really cheap), but because of a spur-of-the-moment decision the price wasn't great.  The biggest reason I decided not to fly, though, was because I wanted to bring my Ollie-man with me.  So without telling a single soul (except my sister, Nikki, because I just had to tell someone) me and Ollie started our long drive back to Utah.  I was most excited about surprising my parents since I knew for a fact that they had absolutely no idea that I was coming.

Surprising Dad
Me and my parents have this routine where I call them almost every single night while I am sitting at the dog park with Ollie (yes, I take my dog there...don't judge...that is the only time he can go outside without dying of heat).  It's usually around 8:00 in AZ and 9:00 in UT, and that happened to be the time I was rollin' into Cache Valley...which by the way was B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L coming back to.  So as I turned onto Hollow Road I called my dad (my momma was working), and he was definitely thinking that I was at the dog park.  He told me he would call me back because he was outside spraying off the trailer before it got too dark.  It was perfect.  I pulled into the drive way, and I saw him poke his head around the corner where he was working on the trailer.  He had a confused look on his face (I'm assuming because I was just talking to him in AZ, or so he thought, and he was thinking there was no way that could be my car sitting in his driveway).  Before I got out of the car I let Ollie out to go greet him.  A smile instantly came on his face, and after surviving the excitement of my massive dog, he hobbled quickly toward me (he is recovering from an achilles tendon repair...ouchy) and gave me that big hug that I had missed so much.  Although I had only been gone for two months, it felt like much longer.  It was so fun surprising him.  We hung out for a couple hours before I headed to surprise my momma.

Surprising Momma
If any of you know my mom, you know that she has a really hard time when either of her kiddos leave.  She works at the ER at Logan Regional and is one of the best nurses there, and I am not just saying that because she's my mom.  She's pretty amazing!  I showed up at about 11:00, and walked in through the back hoping that she wouldn't be too busy.  She wasn't out at the nurses station so I asked a few people to have her come out when she had a minute.  She was currently taking care of a patient, so I waited for a few minutes before she came walking out of the room looking around for "some girl that is looking for her" (I told them not to tell her that it was me).  The second she saw me she was covered in tears with her hands covering her face.  Like I said earlier...I realize I was only gone for two months, but with the relationship I have with my parents, that is really long.  She gave me a big huge hug and wouldn't let me go.  I couldn't help but cry a little bit as well.  Our reunion was awesome.  She was so happy and confused all at once.  She obviously had no idea whatsoever.

It was a good feeling to completely surprise them.  I think I was more excited to surprise them then I was just to be in Utah in general.  The next day my parents took me out to Hyrum Dam on their new boat that they just bought.  It was Ollie's first time on a boat, and he was a little nervous at first, but I think he ended up loving it.  It was a perfect day to start off my week in Utah.


More to come from Utah!

No comments:

Post a Comment