Saturday, July 5, 2014

I Got A Job!

We've lived here in AZ for 6 weeks now, and I quit my job in Utah about 3 weeks before we left...so I've been unemployed for pretty much 9 weeks and I was going crazy!!  I do not understand how people can just be okay with having nothing to be to everyday.  (Yes, I know it will be MUCH different when I have a child, which I cannot wait for, but in terms of jobs...you know what I mean).  It was nice for the first week or two that I was here because I could just relax by the pool and hang out with my pup all day, but even all that gets boring.  I had a really hard time relaxing because I wasn't working toward anything.  I felt guilty when Brad would leave early in the morning and get home later that day from school and he would be exhausted, and I would have all this energy and want to do something because I had just done nothing all day!  

I mean, I didn't really do nothing.

  I searched for jobs constantly, walked Ollie a bajillion times (but then it started getting too hot that we would both die each time we walked for maybe 5 minutes), went grocery shopping, learned how to cook decently (finally), went to the pool, went to our gym, caught up on my TV shows and social media, researched why vaccinations are good (those crazy anti-vax people), called people from home,  watched the World Cup (okay let's be honest, I could do that all day and never be bored), did laundry, and cleaned the house over and over. 

So...yeah...I wasn't doing nothing, but really, I wasn't doing anything.

By the time I got my first interview ((June 20)) I had probably applied for at least 236 jobs.  I was getting so discouraged.  I kept reading all these stats on how difficult it is for a new grad RN to get a job in Phoenix (greeeaat!).  I thought I was never going to find a job.  I had tried to stay really positive, but one day I finally lost it when Brad came home, and I just went nuts on being really negative.  That night as we knelt in prayer, Brad asked, with great sincerity, that I would find a job.  The power of prayer is amazing.  Until Brad and I came to AZ, we were horrible at saying our prayers each night, but we haven't missed a night since we got here, and I can already feel a difference in how our days go.  What a blessing it is!  The next day I got called for an interview!  I said a million little prayers of thanks!  I nailed it (I thought so at least), and I was offered a second interview for the following week!  Woohoo!  I was stoked!  Then, before my second interview for that job I was called for an interview for a different job! Ahhhh!! I was so excited!

Long story short...I really wanted the second one more, but was very nervous that I wouldn't find out until after I was potentially offered the first one (are you confused yet?  Sorry if you are).  Prayers, prayers, prayers.  All the timing worked out perfectly, and I honestly don't know how.  I was offered the job that I wanted, and was able to tell the first company that I was no longer interested!

I HAD A JOB!!

I got the call ((July 2)) and as soon as the lady told me that I was offered the job I started jumping up and down and tried my best to act professional (I tried really hard), and she just giggled at my excitement.  As soon as I got off the phone, I called Brad (while I was jumping up and down and running around our house) and we both celebrated!  He was on his way home so as soon as he got here I told him everything!  He is my number one supporter!  I love him!

I called my parents and texted a few people that had been dying to know.  Then, I sat down with the biggest grin on my face (a little out of breath to be honest), and couldn't help but feel overwhelmed with gratitude.  I never thought in a million years that my first RN job would be in Trauma/Surgical ICU.  How exciting (and terrifying) is that?  Brad kept telling me that I just had to be patient, because a perfect job was waiting for me, and he was 100% right.

I was enjoying my own little moment while Brad was sitting down studying.  I walked over to him and said, "Hey, I need you to take a picture of me so that I can tell everyone that I got a job!"  I'm a big picture freak, and I feel like I can't announce anything without a picture attached to it (even if the picture has nothing to do with the announcement), so I thought maybe Brad taking it will be less...odd...than if I did a "selfie".  He just smiled at me and said, "Okay".  I stood awkwardly in the kitchen while he held up my phone to snap a picture.  Okay that was really awkward.  So I grabbed Ollie, and said that he needed to be in it with me so I didn't look so weird.

So...this was the result.   


Hooray!  It was official now that all the people who, at least act like they care about my life, now know!

Perfect!

I sat down as my phone rang with encouragement and congratulations.  I was even more overwhelmed with gratitude, and had to have a few personal words with my Savior.  He is the reason for all of this to have fallen into place the way that it did.  I feel so blessed to have this opportunity.

Now that is has been a few days, I am really starting to feel the nerves.  I don't start until July 28th, but I have already been looking into all the things that I might need to know working in the Trauma/Surgical ICU.  Crap, I need to know everything!  Yes, nerves are definitely setting in!  Any thoughts, words of advice, ANYTHING would be awesome! 

Either way, I know it's going to be really hard at first, but over all I will always feel grateful to have a job and be able to provide for my sweet little family right now.  I can't tell you enough how powerful prayer is.  I know my Heavenly Father loves me, and I love him too

Thanks for the love and support, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment